Monday, December 29, 2008

Escargot Anyone?




Brian called me on my phone the other day to tell me to send the kids over to his office - he wanted to show them something. He is still using the office which is behind our old house, until the office which is attached to our new house is done. I gladly sent them running over, because that meant I could have a few extra minutes, maybe even half an hour, to get some packing done for our holiday.
The pictures are unbelievable, but I assure you they have not been edited in anyway. You could eat these guys for a main course, for those of you who ever order escargot! They are called African Giant Snails and we have seen a few since the rainy season started.

6 comments:

Laura said...

That is crazy!!! Will you save a shell for Danny if you see one? We need another Malawian conversation piece to add to our collection! (Did Bradley try to eat it?).

Natalie said...

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!

Unknown said...

Wow that is crazy. I googled them and found this page with some interesting facts. Apparently you can keep them as pets and they'll live up to 5-10 years. They are illegal in the US so make sure Dan is smuggling home any live ones Laura.

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rarespecies/p/landsnails.htm

Josh

Lishe said...

so big???? Did you scream Anita? haha
It doens't look tasty to me....

Anonymous said...

That is insane!

You don't know me--I just happened upon your adorable blog. I just wanted to share the word about this free blog makeover contest going on right now. Go here to enter: www.designerblogsbyerin.blogspot.com. Not that you need one...I just wanted to spread the word! :)

Megan Brown said...

It looks like a prop from a bad sci-fi movie. Uggh.
tom wanted to know if you need a melon baller to scoop it out when cooking them?